Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Actually...



Actually... I am going to post the dinner that I quickly whipped up for dinner tonight for my dad, mom, and myself. It was a recipe from Giada's cookbook "Giada's Kitchen" and was called "Chicken Scallopine with Saffron Cream Sauce". I am a huge fan of saffron, I love the flavor and color that it evokes from the food that you add it too and it works perfectly in this dish. As a side I made a "Near East" brand Whole Grain Roasted Garlic blend. Let's get onto the recipe! Note: I added a little bit of flour when I added the heavy cream to make the sauce a little bit thicker.

I apologize for the picture but we ate the food before I decided that I was going to post the recipe!

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 pound of chicken cutlets (scallopine - thin)
  • 2 shallots, sliced (I minced mine)
  • 1 glove of garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup of dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon of saffron threads
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream
  • 3/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (optional)

Directions
  • Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper (both sides).
  • Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to serving plate and tent with foil to keep warm
  • Reduce the heat to medium, add the shallots and the garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
  • Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is almost evaporated.
  • Add the chicken broth and saffron threads, bring to a simmer and reduce for 10 minutes. Add the cream, salt, and pepper (this is where I added about 2 pinches of flour). Stir to combine and simmer for 1 minute to blend the flavors. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
  • Sprinkle with parsley (if wanted) and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment